Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Priorities

Have you ever looked at your massive to-do list and thought, Nope. Not happening, there is no possible way. A million things to do, no motivation to do them, running on junk food, and hair is made up of 90% dry shampoo.

Nope, just me? Cool. 

Well, lately those kinds of days seem to have become more common. But seriously... when was the last time I washed my hair :/

Out of necessity I have learned a little of the art of prioritizing and letting things go. So in light of this new "que sera sera" outlook I thought I would share some of the experiences that have pushed me so far out of my perfectionist comfort zone.

I have my list of things to do and I rely on it way too much. I have learned that it is simply not possible to have the house perfectly clean, be the perfect mom, perfect wife, or to successfully get my homework done. So I have to actively choose what my priorities are.  If I don't, every little thing that pops up would distract me and I would never even make it to my list. Or worse, I would get everything done but not have time for Keiton and my Baby Girl.

So I choose family. Keiton and I set aside time together every single night so that no matter what comes up, we have time together to focus on us.  That means when Baby Girl goes to bed, there is no homework, no projects, just each other and usually an episode or two on Netflix.  This time is so important to me, I love Baby Girl but it is so nice to reconnect and laugh with my best friend with no distractions.

This nightly ritual has saved me this semester. When I am stressed out, or disappointed because I bombed a test, I have something to look forward to that brightens any bad day! Laughing and relaxing every night has done wonders in my life.  And the weirdest thing has happened, I have seen that as I actively put my family first and figure out how to fit everything else in my life, I have had more time to get the other stuff done. It's that weird time paradox where I feel like God has helped me be more productive with my time and cross off a lot more on my to-do list.

Another important lesson I have learned is to let it go. What even is the "perfect wife", "perfect mom", straight A student and who has a "perfectly clean" house? Not me, that's for sure. I don't think it is possible to do all of those things perfectly, so I have chosen to focus on my family. I still try to do well in everything else, that is the perfectionist personality inside me. But if we have no clean spoons and to eat cereal with forks it is going to be just fine!

I had a research paper due in one of my classes, I had known about this paper for two months but I had put it off for way too long.  The day before it was due I put it off even longer because we decided to go on a family walk, so I didn't even start it until after we put Baby Girl to bed.  I was up until midnight but I finally finished.  I had to learn that it was ok that my paper wasn't going to be the best just as long as I did my best.  I know for most of you, you are thinking 'well... duh!' But for a busy perfectionist mom this was a break through 😉

The final thing I have learned is to make the time to work on my Spirituality.  Life is SO busy and reading my scriptures usually was the first thing to get bumped off my list.  Recently I have made the resolution that no matter what I am going to set aside at least 20 minutes and those 20 minutes have made all the difference.  I have found I am A LOT more patient and kind if I put God first in my day.

Putting family first, letting go of the expectation to be perfect, and making time for Spiritual growth has helped me to become the happiest I have ever been in my life! I have also taken courage in the quote by Elder Holland that says " Don't you quit! You keep trying. There is help and happiness ahead. For those who embrace the Gospel of Jesus Christ blessings come! Trust God and believe in good things to come!" I have found that somehow, it all works out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment