Monday, February 6, 2017

How am I supposed to do this?

Mom life, college life.... I know I talk (maybe even complain) about this a lot but, right now, that's all I know.  I was having one of those days where I was thinking 'how in the world are we going to make it through?!' 

These days tend to creep up when I am running on little sleep or have a big assignment due.  Stress overpowers me and I just jump to the worst case scenarios, I'm going to fail my classes, I won't be able to finish school, or a similar thought pops into mind.

Lucky for me, the very day I felt all this pressure there was a lecture on campus called "How Am I Supposed To Do This, Advice for Moms Trying To Get Through School."
Talk about direct answers to prayers!

The speaker shared many great tips and I feel like all of the advice could be applied to anyone who is overwhelmed.

First, gain a testimony of your path.  When God asks us to do something, it is rarely easy.  That is because there is no growth in our comfort zone.  Seek for confirmation that you are doing what God wants you to do, then go forward and trust those feelings.



Second, manage your expectations.  Basically all of the ideas I have had about being a mom have been thrown out the window.  Baby Girl has slept in our bed, our house is rarely clean, I don't wake up early, we eat out too much, I'm not getting A's in my classes anymore and that's ok. I am guilty of having too high of expectations for myself and it usually just adds way too much stress! I am working on having high but healthy expectations for myself and my role of being a mom.




Third, use your village.  We weren't meant to get through this life alone.  It is ok to ask for help! This is something that I have a hard time remembering.



Fourth, take care of yourself. Find things that energize you and fill your day with you love.  This is hard for me because I feel like every second of every day is packed with so much to do that I can't even check everything off my to do list.  But I have been trying to add little things throughout the day that I look forward to.

Like, since I drive back and forth from Spanish Fork to Orem everyday, I started listening to audiobooks.  This helps to break up my long car rides and when things get intense, I actually look forward to driving.

Also, I actually look forward to feeding Baby Girl in the night, because Keiton and I use this time to watch Person of Interest.  She usually wakes up around 3 hungry, and we start and episode, burp her, put her to sleep and then we usually end up finishing the episode.  So if you have recommendation for a good Netflix show, let us know!!

This life is crazy, but I wouldn't change it for anything! And somehow we are surviving this super busy insane time of our lives and loving it too.






No comments:

Post a Comment